In honor of Black History Month, Team Tango has collected a group of stories about Black members of the military.
Ashley shares the story of Retired Adm. Cecil Haney, who was one of the first Black four-star admirals in Navy history, serving as the commander of the U.S. Pacific Fleet and the U.S. Strategic Command, where he oversaw nuclear weapons before retiring in 2017.
Jeff shares a historical story of German POWs at a camp in Texas who were shocked by the shoddy treatment of the Black Americans who were their guards and who they worked alongside at local farms.
CV shares the Medal of Honor story of Army Sgt. William H. Carney, who posthumously recieved the honor in 1900 for his actions during the charge of Fort Wagner in Charleston, S.C. during the Civil War.
Team Tango is inspired by three stories of Black History being made today by Black servicemembers
- 2017 U.S. Naval Academy graduate Lt. JG Madeline Swegle who recently became the Navy's first Black female strike pilot
- Former U.S. Central Command leader Lloyd Austin, who was confirmed as the nation's first Black Defense Secretary
- 81-year-old retired Army Col. Paris Davis, who may finally recieve a long-delayed Medal of Honor for his actions to save wounded teammates during a gunfight in Vietnam in 1965.
- Watch video of this episode on YouTube
- Send us your feedback!
- Suggest a Guest
- He became one of the Navy’s first Black four-star admirals. The military has work to do on diversity, he says.
- National Restaurant Association Educational Foundation - Home
- Even Nazi prisoners of war in Texas were shocked at how black people were treated in the South | by Heather Gilligan | Timeline
- John R. Fox | World War II | U.S. Army | Medal of Honor Recipient
- William H. Carney | U.S. Civil War | U.S. Army | Medal of Honor Recipient
- Indivisible - The Story of Our Flag - American Legion Flag & Emblem
- Lift Every Voice and Sing | An African American History Month Tribute - YouTube
- US Navy's first Black female tactical jet pilot gets her 'wings of gold' - CNN
- Austin confirmed as new defense secretary in historic vote
- Retired Col. Paris Davis may finally receive the Medal of Honor
- American Legion Post 67
- TAL Episode 9: Race and Law Enforcement - Part I
- TAL Episode 9: Race and Law Enforcement - Part II